It is one of the most northerly of the Leeward Islands in the Lesser Antilles, lying east of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands and directly north of Saint Martin. The territory consists of the main island of Anguilla, approximately 16 miles (26 km) long by 3 miles (4.8 km) wide at its widest point, together with a number of much smaller islands and cays with no permanent population. The territory’s capital is The Valley. The total land area of the territory is 35 square miles (91 km2), with a population of approximately 17,400 (July 2018 est.).
The name Anguilla is from the Italian anguilla meaning “eel” (in turn from the Latin anguilla, diminutive of anguis, snake) in reference to the island’s shape. It is believed by most sources to have been named by Christopher Columbus. For similar reasons, it was also known as Snake or Snake Island.
Must See and Do
- Anguilla beaches – While they have silky white sand, their personalities are different. Discover heart-stopping lovely arcs like Mead’s Bay, or secluded coves like Little Bay, reachable only by boat.
- Spas – Experience the superb Thai House Spa at Zemi Beach House, the world-class Venus Spa at CuisinArt and the Spa at Four Seasons Anguilla.
- Fine Dining – Anguilla high-end dining establishments, from iconic to upstart, are on the radar of dining enthusiasts.
- Nature – Embrace nature and enjoy a treasure trove of activities while hiking, horseback riding, cycling or driving. Lose yourself.
- Golf – The Greg Norman-design championship course at the CuisinArt Golf Resort and Spa, is open to the public.
- Island Tours – Natural beauty, evidence of the island’s history, and cultural landmarks, there are points of interest from one end of the island to the other.
Our Concierge Services
From the moment you reserve your villa with us to the moment you return home, we will take care of you every step of the way.
- Airport transfers.
- Grocery pre-stocking.
- Local Reservations & Recommendations.
- Additional Staff.
- Special Events.
- Catering Services.
- Yacht Charters and more…
Not Sure Where to Start?
Let one of our Villa Rental Specialist find your perfect lifestyle…